New Zealand
WATCH: ‘Drunk’ Kiwi man arrested for allegedly biting passenger on US flight


Published by Sophie van Soest
19 May 2026
A New Zealand passenger has been banned from all Qantas flights for life after disturbing an international flight from Australia to the US last week.
The plane, travelling from Melbourne to Dallas, was forced to land in Tahiti, where local police boarded and arrested the man.
Footage shared to Instagram by comedian Mike Goldstein shows the "drunk guy" repeatedly telling cabin crew to "F**k off" and saying he wanted to step off for a ciggie.
“There’s kids around everywhere and you’re acting immature,” a flight attendant tells him. “You have to behave yourself, you’re on a plane.”
“Bro, I was just about to walk out for a cigarette,” the man replied, also appearing to ask a crew member if he was “smoking weed”.
At one point, the man loses his balance and stumbles into Goldstein’s seat, before being warned he could be restrained for the remainder of the flight.
There were still around 11 hours left on the long-haul journey at the time of the incident.
There have been reports the man bit a passenger. While some outlets have claimed the alleged biting of a crew member, Goldstein says he witnessed it and claims it involved another passenger sitting across the aisle from him.
However, the allegations for biting has not been confirmed by Qantas.
Goldstein also claims the altercation began after another passenger reclined their seat in front of the man.
“What I didn’t get video of was the person putting their seat back in front of him and him putting them in a chokehold,” Goldstein said. “It woke him up and the rampage started.”
According to 1News, after the arrest, the plane was refuelled in Tahiti before continuing on to Dallas.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) confirmed officials were aware of the detention of a New Zealander in Tahiti on May 16, but would not provide further details due to privacy reasons.
A Qantas spokesperson told 1News the passenger had been issued a lifetime no-fly ban across the airline’s services, including all Jetstar flights.
“The safety of our customers and our crew is our number one priority and we have zero tolerance for disruptive or threatening behaviour on our flights,” they said.
While Goldstein says he managed to get a laugh out of the "in-flight entertainment", the same might not be the case for the other passengers onboard... or the cabin crew.

Published by Sophie van Soest
19 May 2026